2023 Suzuki DR-Z 400SM Base
Suzuki's 2023 SuperMoto DR-Z400SM is based on the proven DR-Z400S. So it combines Supermotard style and features in a narrow, lightweight, street-legal package. This bike brings off-road soul and fun to paved roads. It’s not uncommon to take the SuperMoto down a twisty forest road, around tight canyon corners, or through commuter traffic.
Its 398cc, liquid-cooled, four-stroke engine provides strong low-rpm torque and crisp throttle response for any of these occasions. Key differences between the DR-Z400SM and the DR-Z400S are the inverted front fork, wide spoke-style wheels, and 300mm diameter floating front brake rotor. The inverted fork contributes to less unsprung weight and improved overall handling, while the large brake and wider rims with high-grip tires offer an exhilarating sport bike experience.
- Wide, blue- or black-anodized RK Excel aluminum rims with stainless steel spokes are fitted with sporty radial tires: 120/70-R17 front and 140/70-R17 rear.
- Strong braking performance is supplied by a front disc brake with a large 300mm floating-type rotor and dual-piston caliper, plus a 240mm rear disc brake with a single-piston caliper.
- Long travel, Showa inverted front fork is derived from the RM250 and features adjustable compression/rebound damping and a special coating on inner tube surfaces for smooth action.
- A fully adjustable rear shock absorber with high/low speed compression damping adjuster and a tapered RM-inspired aluminum swingarm combine for precise rear wheel control.
- Renthal tapered aluminum handlebar has an aggressive look, reduces vibration, and has a great bend for spirited riding.
- Chrome-moly steel frame tuned for Supermotard style riding is torsionally strong with minimal weight. The backbone tube, front down tube, and steering head gussets form the dry-sump engine oil tank.
- A bolt-on aluminum sub-frame helps reduce weight, simplify maintenance, and contributes to the trim rear fender appearance.
- Front and rear axle sliders, and specially designed mirrors that rotate, help protect against damage in the case of a tip-over.
- Derived from the off-road DR-Z400, the blue and black or white bodywork features fresh, angular graphics for a race-ready appearance.
- A pouch on the rear fender carries the tool kit, owner’s manual, or other cargo.
- Compact, digital instrument cluster includes speedometer, odometer, twin-trip meters with addition/subtraction capability, clock, and stopwatch functions.
- On-road legal lighting includes bright 60/55-watt halogen headlight, compact tail/stoplight, lightweight, rubber-mounted turn signals, and horn.
- Electrical systems, including the easy-push button starter, are powered by a compact, 6.5-amp, maintenance-free battery.
- Lightweight, 398cc, DOHC, liquid-cooled, dry-sump engine produces strong, tractable power.
- Compact, four-valve cylinder head has 36mm intake valves, 29mm exhaust valves, narrow 28-degree included valve angle, and shim-under-bucket valve adjustment system.
- Simple electric starting is powered via a lightweight starter motor with an automatic mechanical decompression system.
- SCEM-plated cylinder (nickel-silicon-phosphorus) is lighter and more durable than an iron liner and has excellent heat transfer properties.
- Forged aluminum piston is 10 percent lighter than a cast piston and receives additional oil-cooling through a crankcase oil jet.
- Fed by a six-liter air box, the Mikuni™ 36mm carburetor incorporates a deceleration enrichener circuit to help provide smooth throttle response when accelerating or engine braking.
- The left side body cover has quick-release fasteners for easy access to the air filter.
- The use of a PAIR (air supply) system to the exhaust helps the motorcycle achieve emissions compliance without affecting performance.
- Thermostatically-controlled cooling fan mounted to the left radiator helps maintain consistent operating temperature in traffic.
- Magnesium-alloy clutch, magneto, and cylinder head covers contribute to the bike’s low weight.
- Suzuki's Supermotard model, based on the proven DR-Z400S, combines Supermotard style and features in a narrow, lightweight, street-legal package
- Versatile and strong, 398cc, DOHC, liquid-cooled, dry-sump engine has push-button starting.
- SuperMoto boasts fully adjustable MX-style suspension plus high-grip sportbike tires on strong spoke wheels featuring anodized, aluminum Excel rims.
- The new Grand Blue and Solid Black or the returning Solid Special White No. 2 bodywork with angular graphics complement the motorcycle’s styling.
- 12-month limited warranty. Longer coverage periods with other benefits available through Suzuki Extended Protection (SEP).* (*Subject to separate coverage for certain parts and the exclusions and limitations described in the New On-Road Motorcycle Limited Warranty.)
- Compact, five-speed transmission utilizes a cable-operated clutch with a separate magnesium outer cover for simplified clutch maintenance.
- Low-maintenance, long-life, sealed O-ring type drive chain produces minimal sounds when riding.